The DESCRIPTION of “The Daughter of Babylon”
God does not speak with idle and wasteful words. He is not grasping for something to say just to fill the pages of a book. His words are not random thoughts to be ignored. We may not understand every word spoken, but I can assure you that every word from God is significant and has an eternal purpose.
There are more prophecies written in the Bible about an end-time nation called “Babylon” than about any other nation with the exception of Israel.
It amazes me how few men have even attempted to understand the significance of the prophecies related to the “daughter of Babylon”. God gave us His Word to provide light for a darkened world, and faithful students should seek a full knowledge of all portions of Scripture.
Because of the vast number of references that paint a vivid portrait of “Babylon”, I will deal with each of the major passages very briefly and present the descriptions in the order in which they are given in the Biblical text. I will also number them for ease of reference. Any repeated descriptions from other passages will be numbered to reference them to the first referenced description.
Jeremiah chapter 50:
The entire chapter of Jeremiah 50 is given to the study of “Babylon”. The LORD begins by declaring – “The Word that the LORD spoke against Babylon.“ What a sobering and overwhelming statement that is. What message could possibly be worse - “The Word that the LORD spoke against Babylon”?
God, by His very nature, is the Lord of love, forgiveness and grace. 2 Peter 3:9 says, “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise . . . but is longsuffering toward us, NOT WILLING THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH, but that all should come to repentance.”
The statement that the LORD is “against” Babylon is an indication that they will have apparently pushed the limit of His patience and grace. They may have had ample opportunities to turn to Him in repentance, but rejected His pleas.
The God who extended His mercy to a godless society like ancient Nineveh invites all men and nations to turn to Him and live. But woe to any nation that has had the Word of God and has carelessly spurned it! God’s mercy eventually comes to an end.
1. LATTER DAYS: Babylon is described as a nation that exists during the time that the people of Israel are returning to their land – “In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping; they shall go, and seek the LORD, their God. (verse 4)
What an incredible time to be living! We are witnessing the return of God’s chosen nation to their land. Jewish immigrants from all over the world are returning to the land of their promised dreams.
However, most of them are not yet returning in repentance and faith in their Messiah. Like the valley full of dry bones (Ezekiel chapter 37) they have begun coming together, bone to bone, but as a nation, there is no spiritual breath in them –
“ . . . there was a noise and behold, a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above, but there was no breath in them.”-- Ezekiel, 37:7-8
Genuine, born-again believers who have placed their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ rejoice at seeing the prosperity of the people of Israel. They are once again coming into their land, and we rejoice with them. But God’s greatest work, in turning the hearts of the nation toward Him and re-gathering them in mass, is yet future. Scripture tells us that someday the nation of Israel will recognize their Messiah whom they have rejected and millions will return to the land of their fathers –
“A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep mine ordinances, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.” Ezekiel 36:26-28
Ezekiel recorded another great promise to the nation of Israel –
“And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves (the gentile nations), And shall put my Spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land; then shall ye know that I, the LORD, have spoken it . . . “-- Ezekiel 37:13-14
What a wonderful day of renewal and blessing is coming upon God’s chosen nation – “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.”-- Ezekiel 36:26
It is during these last days when the people of Israel are once again beginning to return to their land, that the “the daughter of Babylon” will exist.
2. FLEE! The people of Israel will flee out of Babylon – “Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and go forth out of the land . . .” (verse 8)
The day is coming when thousands, perhaps even millions, of people will panic and evacuate their homes and seek a place of safety and refuge. The fact that they will flee from everything they have known and loved paints a pathetic picture of calamity that is destined upon the end-time “daughter of Babylon.”
Such panic that would create this kind of mass exodus from a modern day nation is beyond our comprehension.
Jeremiah 51:46 may offer us a clue why there would be such a fearful evacuation –
“And lest your heart faint, and ye fear for the rumor that shall be heard in the land; a rumor shall both come one year, and after that in another year shall come a rumor, and violence in the land . . . “
What kind of rumor would cause such mass hysteria that people would flee their homes and seek refuge in their ancestral homelands? Will the fear of weapons of mass destruction in the hands of madmen and terrorists? Time will tell.
3. A SAFE HAVEN FOR JEWS:
There is another important description to observe in the preceding verse (Jeremiah 50:8) as God warns His people – “Flee out of the midst of Babylon.” This statement would imply that the people of Israel will be dwelling in end-time Babylon, and God tells them to run.
This cannot possibly be referring to modern day Iraq where efforts have been made to revive the historic city of Babylon by Saddam Hussein. Iraq is far from being a safe refuge for Jews. End-time Babylon will obviously be a safe-haven for Jews, and
God warns His people to flee to their homeland before the fires of judgment fall.
4. BORN FROM A MOTHER-LAND: End-time Babylon will be born from a mother-land – “Your mother shall be completely confounded, she that bore you shall be ashamed.” (verse:12) This passage cannot possibly refer to the oldest of nations which was historical Babylon. How many nations can we name that can claim they were “born” from a “motherland”? America is certainly one of very few. Two hundred years after the founding of our nation, it is still recognized by all that England is America’s mother-land.
Babylon’s mother-land is even described by the prophets.
5. A SHRIVELED UP MOTHER: Referring to the “mother of Babylon”, the LORD uses interesting language in describing her. She will become – “completely confounded”.
The Hebrew word for confounded means “completely dried up or pale.” The word describes one who has shriveled up and lost all strength.
What an apt description of modern day England. On January 16, 1968, the United Press International released an article under the caption of “The Nightfall Of An Empire”. The article states – “Britain yesterday abandoned her role as a world power. British Prime minister Wilson’s announcement before the House of Commons came after more than thirty-one hours of agonizing soul-searching by the British Cabinet.”
There was a time when Brits proudly claimed that the sun never set on their empire. Those days are gone forever, and the British world-wide empire has literally vanished. The “mother of Babylon” is truly confounded or all shriveled up. What a remarkable prophetic utterance from a prophet that lived 2500 years before the fulfillment.
6. A SHAMEFUL MOTHERLAND: The “mother” of end-time Babylon will be ashamed – “Your mother shall be completely confounded, she that bore you shall be ashamed.” (verse 12) One wonders what would cause such shame: will the “mother” of end-time Babylon forsake her “daughter” in the hour of her greatest need? Will England abandon her “child” in time of future conflict?
As I write, Great Britain is one of the only faithful allies to the American effort against terrorism. Her allegiance, however, could change very quickly, especially if terrorists ignite a weapon of mass destruction in either of these countries! The fact is, the strength of the entire NATO alliance has greatly diminished and the end of the “cold war”. America could very well find herself totally alone if the present conflict with international terrorism accelerates and weapons of mass destruction are deployed.
7. THE YOUNGEST OF NATIONS: End-time Babylon will be clearly identified as the youngest of the great nations – “behold the hindermost of the nations . . . “(verse 12). Hindermost means last or youngest. Whoever this great nation is, it will be one that is relatively young compared to the ancient nations. With little more than two hundred years to our history, United States of America is recognized as a mere “teenager” in comparison to the older nations of the world.
8. SINFUL NATION: End-time Babylon – “. . . hath sinned
against the LORD.” (verse 14) What nation has NOT sinned against the holiness of God? But this nation, the “daughter of Babylon”, is destined to judgment and total ruin because of some sin that God deplores.
sin could possibly be so great as to trigger the
destructive wrath of the Righteous, Holy, and Just God?
Could it be the thrusting of His Name out of all public life, or the acceptance of evil and perversion? Could it be the terrible slaughter of the innocent as performed at so-called “women’s health clinics”? Whatever, God is not pleased with end-time Babylon, and judgment WILL someday fall!
There is a very revealing text in the Bible that details the downward spiral that caused God to destroy ancient Sodom –
“Behold, this is the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before Me, therefore I took them away as I saw good.”-- Ezekiel 16:49
Pride, prosperity and perversion were the trademarks of ancient Sodom and the other cities of the plain. God’s wrathful judgment upon that whole society fell suddenly and only a few that believed in the Lord escaped His sudden fury.
There is nothing sinful about having plenty of food to eat or even an abundance of pleasant things and time. But when pleasures and possessions becomes the full end of man, he becomes proud, greedy, and often very immoral. Perversion is only one step away from an immoral society. This was the apparently the downward steps of Sodom.
This downward trend has gripped the land of the Stars and Strips and we are now plunging to the depths of filth and perversion. What a great tragedy for a people that once lived in the light of God’s Word!
9. FALLEN FOUNDATIONS: End-time Babylon will have lost her moral sense of direction – “her foundations are fallen, her walls are thrown down . . . “ (verse 15) When any nation begins to throw off restraint by outlawing the God of heaven and His laws, that nation faces unbelievable trials and just retribution.
This passage could even be referring to the destruction of the law of the land, our national Constitution. Today, through judicial tyranny, the “Ultimate Law of the Land” as preserved in the U.S. Constitution is being nullified and trashed. If ever there was a need for a Constitutional Amendment, now is the time. No vote of the people should ever be overthrown by any branch of government. Truly, our national “foundations are fallen”!
People of faith should pray that the Godly standards of the Bible will once again be welcome in our land.
10. AGRICULTURAL GIANT:
Babylon will be a great agricultural production center, but the day will come when the farmers will suddenly abandon their crops in the field and run in panic. “Cut off the sower in Babylon, and him that handleth the sickle in the time of harvest; for fear of the oppressing sword they shall turn everyone to his own land.” (Verse 16)
One day both Jew and Gentile alike will flee from the land of Babylon in sheer panic. Even those living in rural areas, which are usually considered a refuge and place of safety, will someday run! What a terrible picture of future mayhem.
11. THE HAMMER OF THE EARTH: Babylon is referred to as “the hammer of the whole earth.” End-time Babylon will be a nation that is a great manufacturing giant. Babylon will be a nation that works and gets things done. The hammer in this verse is not speaking of a destructive weapon but of a mighty hammer of production and tool of commerce and development.
America has been the hammer of development, not only in her own land, but around the world as many nations stricken by poverty and natural disaster have experienced the greatest rebuilding genius of the world. Even nations that have declared war against the hammer of economic might have been rebuilt by their one-time enemy!
12. STRIVING AGAINST THE LORD: Babylon will be characterized as a land that is “striving against the LORD.” (Verse 24) Liberal justices, legislators, and educators have made every effort to expel God and His moral standards from our society. What a sad day it is when the silent majority is overwhelmed by outspoken, ungodly activists who want to outlaw God in every facet of public life.
13. STOREHOUSES: Jeremiah 50:26 refers to the
“storehouses” of end-time Babylon. How many nations are there that have such an abundance of food kept in storehouses as America? Take a drive through the Midwest and count the grain elevators that are filled to overflowing with stored food reserves.
No other nation on earth has been so blessed that they can help feed the hungry, starving masses beyond their borders. When disaster strikes, the world looks to America for a handout, and we give it generously. We are indeed, a land of countless “storehouses.”
14. ARROGANT: Babylon will be a proud nation. National pride is one thing, but a haughty prideful spirit is hated by God. “ . . . she hath been proud against the LORD, against the Holy One of Israel.” (verse 29)
The people of end-time Babylon will exalt and deify man in the place of God. Humanism is now the accepted religion of the land, and our children are being taught to trust in themselves and the “system” because man thinks that he is able to determine his own destiny without the LORD.
15. MANY CITIES: Babylon will be a land of many “cities” (verse 32). This verse all by itself should convince us that end-time Babylon is more than the forty acre project of Saddam Hussein in rebuilding ancient Babylon!
An airplane flight at night across the land is all that it takes to remind us that America is truly a land of many cities. The lights of one city right after another, go on and on for hundred of miles along both the eastern and western coasts. “Many cities” . . . truly an accurate description of our fast growing nation!
16. A PEOPLE ON THE GO: Babylon will be a land with a fully developed transportation system and roads. Verse 37 makes reference to their “horses and chariots” which is the term that an ancient prophet would use to describe modern vehicles.
17. MIXED MULTITUDES: Babylon will be made up of a mixed multitude. She will be the melting pot of the world. Verse 37 mentions the “mixed people”, and the word mixed is literally translated “mongrel people” or “mixed race.” Millions of people from all over the world are flooding into the United States every year. It should be noted that the nations are not knocking down the doors trying to enter Iraq, the homeland of ancient Babylon. Obviously, the prophets were not speaking about old, historic Babylon, but about a young and vibrant melting pot of all nationalities!
18. FEMINISM IN SOCIETY: “They shall become like women . . . “ (verse 37) may be referring to the society becoming a feministic society. The feminists’ agenda worldwide, but especially in the United States, is having a devastating impact upon the entire nation.
College campuses are beginning to complain about fewer male students. On many university campuses men are outnumbered by women nearly two to one. Little wonder. With the exorbitant cost of education, who wants to be continually lectured about the evils of manhood?
19. TREASURES ROBBED: “A sword is upon her treasuries, and they shall be robbed.” Inflation alone has robbed Americans of their wealth to say nothing of the graduated income tax. We would recommend the book and tape “The Creature of Jekyll Island” by G. Edward Griffin as an excellent exposure of the Federal Reserve System (which is not Federal any more than Federal Express is, but is a huge and powerful banking cartel of the largest banks in America and Europe. The central banking system that brought America the great depression continues to rob the land of it full economic wealth and potential.
Since our government abandoned the gold standard and opted for Federal Reserve Notes, Americans have been continually robbed of their treasures. It is interesting to note that President John F. Kennedy had just signed a presidential order re-instating the hard currency standard to back up the dollar when he was assassinated and Lyndon Johnson became president. Johnson’s first act after being sworn in was to rescind the order before they even arrived back to Washington D.C. on the historic flight from Dallas. Silver reserves were then peddled to the Federal Reserve for 5 cents on the dollar.
20. DROUGHT: Verse 18 declares that “a drought is upon her waters and they shall be dried up”. The effects of drought have been devastating to areas like Lake Powell and even the Great Lakes. Babylon will not be free from the ravages of nature. We should be careful here, in not interpreting every dry spell as the direct fulfillment of prophecy. The point is, Babylon will experience natural disasters and droughts. This is surely not referring to a desert area like Iraq which experiences continual drought!
21. LAND OF INVENTIONS: Babylon shall be the land of many inventions “. . . it is the land of carved images, and they are mad over their idols.”(verse 38). Little needs to be added here about American ingenuity and creativity as we have led the world in inventions and technological development. In addition to being a land of idol worship, the people are obsessed with their possessions.
22. DAUGHTER OF BABYLON: The phrase “daughter of Babylon” is found in verse forty-two of this 50th chapter of Jeremiah. This obviously is referring to a younger descendent of Babylon and not to historic Babylon.
Jeremiah chapter 51:
23. GOLDEN CUP:
Babylon is called “a golden cup in the LORD’S hand.” This could be referring to the fact that God has richly blessed our land and we in turn have been a blessing to others. No other nation has ever been so generous in feeding the poor, providing emergency relief and sending forth missionaries worldwide.
24. EVIL INFLUENCE: End-time Babylon is also accused of making the nations of the earth “drunk”. The cultural and immoral impact of America upon the world is currently deplorable. America is leading the world in the production and printing of porn and filth. When you travel abroad you will be amazed at the impact of the filthy lyrics and the rancid “music” of MTV. I visited Russia several years ago and I felt ashamed that the people were watching the worst of the entertainment industry that is produced in our land. While people from other countries enjoy our foul entertainment, their opinion of “Christian” America is that she is a land of moral pollution.
25. DWELLING UPON MANY WATERS:
“Thou that dwellest upon many waters” (verse 13) probably refers to our many coastlands and ocean ports. Our merchant marines fill the oceans as we import and export merchandise all over the world. The phrase could also refer to the political influence of America as we dispatch our countless ambassadors all over the globe.
It should be noted here that one of the greatest threats to our national security is the hundreds of thousands of metal shipping containers coming into our ports every year. The potential of terrorists shipping weapons of mass destruction right into the ports of our major cities is very real.
26. A WEALTHY NATION: The phrase “Abundant in treasures . . . “ is abundantly clear. End-time Babylon will be wealthy beyond comprehension. It is estimated that 7% of the world’s population owns 50% of the world’s wealth, and America has more than it’s share of millionaires. The LORD has blessed us abundantly for one reason -- to spread the message of the Gospel to the entire world
27. INTELLECTUALLY STUPID: Verse 17 seems so ironic - “Every man is stupid by his knowledge.” How can a person become stupid by knowledge? The fact is, “the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.” Higher education without the knowledge of the LORD is vain and totally bankrupt.
The Bible declares that “the fool hath said in his heart there is no God.” As a nation it seems that we have become a society
of “fools” that cannot recognize that an intelligent design is the work of an “Intelligent Designer.” The teaching of evolution as absolute fact and denial of Biblical creation is undermining the entire education system. There are social repercussions from removing God and His laws from society, and we are experiencing those social ills in today’s world.
28. AGAINST ISRAEL: God refers to the “evil that they have done in Zion.” On the surface, that couldn’t possibly apply to the United States of America. After all, we have been one of Israel’s most loyal friends. But, the fact is, in recent years our State Department has supported the Palestinians time after time as we have pressured the State of Israel to trade land for peace.
It would appear that every time we have sided against the people of Israel in giving up their God given land for peace, some kind of natural disaster has occurred. It is not a mere coincidence that soon after we were instrumental in brokering the giving of the Gaza Strip to the Palestinians, we were faced with several severe hurricanes. God’s promise to Abraham is still in effect – “I will bless them that bless you and curse them that curse you.” Genesis 12:3
Who are we or anyone to give away the land that God claims as His own? Even Israel’s leaders may have to learn that God’s land is not theirs to barter away.
29. PRAISE OF EARTH: Babylon is called “the praise of the whole earth”. (verse 41) That was the testimony of the United Sates at one time. But this favorable view of the world toward America has become tarnished and drastically changed in recent years. No nation on earth has done so much for others and become so hated and despised. Much of the world’s contempt may be of our own making but some is completely unjustified as we are engaged in a life and death cultural war. Further comment is not even necessary!
30. IDOL WORSHIPPERS: God declares that He will “punish Bel” when He sends destruction upon Babylon. “Bel” refers to idolatry and Baal worship as we discussed in chapter two. As beautiful as the Washington Monument is, one wonders if it is an affront to the Lord by nature of what it stands for? Other evidence of the influence of idolatry are evident throughout our society, especially in churches that have abandoned truth for tradition, symbols, and ritual.
31. MOUNT UP TO HEAVEN: Jeremiah 51:53 is one of the most remarkable verses that describes end-time Babylon – “Though Babylon should mount up to heaven . . . “ This verse could very well be referring to the remarkable ventures of the United States in space. America has led the way in the development of space travel and is the world’s leader in modern technology and in the deployment of communication satellite systems. How incredible that we can take a trek into the wildest wilderness, check our location by G.P.S. and then call home about it!
32. MILITARY STRENGTH: Jeremiah 51:53 continues – “. . . and though she should fortify the height of her strength . . . “ This description may refer to the security of our Armed Forces. It may also refer to the development of a space missile defense system. Whatever God means in this passage, we must not forget that He, and He alone, has been our strength and protector in the past! “. . . except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain . . . “ Psalm 127:1b
33. DRUNKEN LEADERSHIP: The next description is very sobering – “And I will make drunk her princes, and her wise men, her captains, and her rulers, and her mighty men; and they shall sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake, saith the King, whose Name is the LORD of Hosts.” (verse 57)
Alcoholism in the halls of congress is a national scandal. The drunkenness that prevails amongst many of our national leaders is alarming.
“Perpetual sleep” is another grave indictment as we learn from the Bible. There is a serious downward and destructive spiral that America seems to be taking as described in the Bible:
When people fail to give glory to the Creator, God gives them over to immorality. (Romans 1:21-24)
When a nation fails to repent of immorality, God gives them over to perversion. (Romans 1:26-27)
When a nation fails to repent of perversion, God gives them over to a REPROBATE MIND. (Romans 1:28)
A “reprobate mind” is a mind that is incapable of making wise choices. It is a mind that is 180 degrees out of phase from the wisdom and counsel of God. The most insignificant decisions become continual blunders. This is the current spiritual condition of the United States.
Our public school system is an example of a nation incapable of making wise choices. Many young people graduating from high school cannot even read. Our answer to this problem is to invest more money and continue to convince youngsters there is no God and no right or wrong. We will have nothing to do with anything that remotely hints of the Judeo Christian ethic and then wonder why we can’t solve our social problems.
Perpetual sleep! God help us.
Isaiah chapter 13:
The thirteenth chapter of Isaiah deals primarily with the final destruction of that great end-time land called “Babylon”. We will deal with that in depth in another chapter. There are a couple of phrases, however, which add to the clear descriptions of end-time Babylon:
34. LAND OF INIQUITY:
“I will punish the world for their iniquity.” (verse 11) Babylon, along with many other nations, faces the judgment of God for it’s evil. We often think of Americans as the “good guys” . . . the nation that always wears a white hat.
There is no need to make an exhaustive list but, the fact is, that evil prevails in the United States of America. The Mardi Gras is no Sunday School picnic, in case any of us have forgotten. That sensual celebration is considered the “heart and soul” of New Orleans. Should we then wonder why the city has been plagued with such horrendous problems?
The immorality and perversion that permeates our entertainment industry is a national disgrace. Our granting of special status, rights and privileges to sodomites is an affront to a holy God, and the slaughter of the innocent for the convenience of would-be mothers is a stench in the holy nostrils of the LORD Who is the LORD of Life. Then there is our preoccupation with magic and witchcraft which is frightening, indeed. Need we to go on?
35. NATIONAL ARROGANCE: The LORD declares – “I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible . . . “ (verse11) Nothing is more deplorable in the eyes of a holy and righteous God than pride and arrogance.
We have become a nation that has robbed God of the credit that only He is due because of all His blessings. The multitudes scoff at the importance of children praying and giving thanks to the God of Heaven. Ancient King Nebuchadnezzar once congratulated himself for the greatness of his kingdom and glory. You can read about his humbling experience of eating grass with the cattle of the field for seven years in Daniel chapter 4.
36. “GLORY OF KINGDOMS” God refers to end-time Babylon as the “glory of kingdoms”. What a wonderful title! There was a day when America stood for good and righteousness instead of perversion and wickedness. How tragic when “G” rated movies are shunned and destined to poor ratings before they even hit the movie theaters. Hollywood continues to create moral filth because that is what the public craves. If you want to determine the health of a nation, simply observe what entertains! What a tragedy that the “glory of kingdoms” will one day smolder in self made destruction.
©2006 Discovery News / "Who is the strange nations described in the Bible as the end-time daughter of Babylon? Why is this richest and most powerful nation destroyed in one hours time?"