in Christ Lesson One
BAD NEWS / GOOD NEWS!
Welcome to the Eternal Life in Christ Bible Studies! This series of home Bible studies is designed to help you to know Who God is . . . and to help you to know Him personally.
God has a special message for you and me and His message has been recorded in the Bible, the Word of God. God loves you and wants you to have his gift of EVERLASTING LIFE!
“But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His Name.” John 20:31
You may be wondering .. . “What’s so special about the Bible?” Why bother to study the Scriptures? Let’s let the Bible speak for itself as you begin a new adventure in hearing the Word of God speak to your heart! ENJOY!
Why study the Bible?
1. Use your own Bible or the verses in the right column to fill in the missing words for the following Bible passages:
“ . . . no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not at any time by the will of man, but holy men of God _________ as they were _________ by the Holy Spirit.” 2 Peter 1:20-21
“All Scripture is given by __________________ of God and is _____________ for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16
2. Bible teacher Warren Wiersbe suggests that “doctrine” tells us what is RIGHT, “reproof” tells us what is NOT RIGHT, “correction” tells us how to GET RIGHT, and “instruction” tells us how to STAY RIGHT! The Bible is truly “profitable” and you will not be disappointed in studying it! (1 Tim. 3:16)
“Doctrine” tells us what is ____________.
“Reproof” tells us what is ______ ___________.
“Correction” tells us how to _______ ___________.
“Instruction” tells us how to __________ __________!
Spiritual truth is never just “discovered” - it is REVEALED by the Spirit of God. God Himself is our teacher!
3. Spiritual truth is never just “______________________” - it is _________________ by the Spirit of God!
4. Just as the Holy Spirit of God inspired the writing of all the Scriptures, He is the One Who must _____________ us all truth. Without His guidance, we could never understand the Bible. (John 14:26)
“ . . . when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will _________ you into all truth; for He shall not speak of Himself, but whatever He shall hear, that shall He speak; and He will ________ _______ things to come.”
5. According to John 20:31, WHY was the Bible written? So that I may ____________ that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and thereby have ________ through His Name.
6. Circle the right answer below: According to 1 John 5:13, the person who BELIEVES on the Name of the Son of God should . . .
a) HOPE he (she) has eternal life
b) NEVER KNOW for sure that he has eternal life
c) KNOW that he has eternal life
d) WORRY about where he will go after he dies
BAD NEWS: God created man to have eternal life and to walk with Him in perfect fellowship. Adam apparently spoke with the LORD face to face . . . but then something terrible happened . . .
7. What did God say would happen to man if he sinned or rebelled? Read Genesis 2:17
God warned man that he would ___________ if he ate of the forbidden fruit.
The day that man sinned, he began to die physically. He also died spiritually. Adams’ fellowship with God was broken and he hid from God (Genesis 3:8). Mankind is still separated from God until each person is born spiritually into His Kingdom!
Later, Adams’ oldest son Cain would murder his younger brother . . . all because of the curse of sin and death! Can you imagine the sorrow that sin brought upon all mankind? Adam and Eve set in motion this terrible curse upon all men as we read in Romans 5:12 (Romans chapter 5 and verse 12) -
8. “___________ passed upon all men for all have _________”
9. Which of the following was the result of sin?
10. WHO has been guilty of sin according to this verse?
“______ have sinned”.
11. Romans 6:23 tells us that the “wages of ______ is death . . . ”
This is indeed BAD NEWS but the message of the Bible also brings hope and GOOD NEWS!
12. What is the good news of Romans 6:23? _______________
13. How would you describe a wage? _______________________
14. Circle the right answer: Is a wage something you earn or something that is free?
15. How would you describe a gift? ____________________
Is a gift something you earn or something that is free?
16. According to Romans 6:23, what is the gift of God? ___ _______________________________________________
THE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE! Because God loves us, He was willing to pay “the wages of sin” which is death. How did He pay for the gift of eternal life according to Romans 5:8? “God showed His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, ___________ __________ _______ _____.”
17. Read John 3:16. WHY did God send His Son into this world? ___________________________________________________
18. Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us - “For by __________ are ye saved through _________, and that not of yourselves, it is the _______ of God.”
Note: A gift is only good if you receive it. God’s gift of eternal life must also be received . . . just like you would receive a gift from a special friend.
If you have any questions you can get help by calling (303) 322-0942 or by e-mail PastorChk@aol.com IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY PRINTING THIS BIBLE STUDY, please email us and we will send it to you as an attached Word Document.
When you are finished with Lesson 1, you can FAX your answer sheet to (303) 322-0942 or send it to Discovery News, 407 S. Holly Street, Denver, CO 80246 We will correct it and send lesson #2. You can also send it by email as an attached document to DiscoveryNews1@aol.com
"Why study the Bible? Why was the Bible written. How to know that you have eternal life and much more."